chmod suddenly ceased to work on old files

From one day to the next, I can't chmod any old files anymore (error
message:
"permission denied"), but when I create a new file, I can chmod it
without
problems:

   chmod 0777 some_old_file

=> ... Permission denied

   touch new_file
   chmod 0777 new_file

=> works fine.

My first thought was that the user id might mysteriously have changed
over night,
but a listing of the files with

   ls -ln

and a check of my user id with

   id -u

confirms that the same numeric user id is used all the time.

I'm running cygwin under Windows 2000. My CYGWIN variable has the value:

   tty ntsec smbntsec

Any idea what is going wrong?

Ronald
--