Re: Bash 3.0-2 and kill

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 05:38:02PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>
>> I have noted that when one uses
>>
>>    kill -9 <process-PID>
>>
>> in bash 3.0-2 (test), the command kills the process but also bash (even
>> if one uses /bin/kill...).
>>
>> In bash 2.05b-17 that command kills only the process.
>>
>> These things happen with
>>
>>    cygwin 1.5.16-1
>>    cygwin 1.5.17-1
>>    snaps. 20050615
>>    snaps. 20050617
>>    snaps. 20050621
>>
>> (I have listed only the snaps I tried)
>>
>> Which is the normal behaviour (3.0-2 or 2.05b-17)?
>
>Unless the <process-PID> refers to the bash process itself, it seems that
>the behavior of 3.0-2 is wrong.  Not sure if it's a bash bug, or a Cygwin
>signal handling bug exposed by bash (the behavior of /bin/kill seems to
>point toward the latter).

Given that if cygwin was this broken all sorts of other things would be
broken as well, this is more likely a problem with bash.  Running bash
under zsh and trying a few kill -9's I finally got bash to exit with a
"segmentation fault", which is more likely to be a problem with bash
than with cygwin.

cgf