stat file -- cygwin vs. Windows size?

Is it likely that stat on a text file in cygwin would return
a 	.st_size large than the file size as used by cygwin
that is HIGHER than the physical number of characters once
the file is process character by character?

I am thinking \n: cr-lf vs. lf, and I am brand new to
cygwin programming (only trying to debug a problem in
Exim email servers new content scan feature.)

This buffer is being built for SpamAssassin which later
gives an error saying (to the effect)

"Content-Length mismatch: Expected 818 bytes, got 798 bytes"

My suspicion is that stat is counting cr-lf as two characters
but the input routines are treating these as one.

If the file has about 20 lines, then that's 20 missing
characters???

Herb Martin
HerbM@LearnQuick.Com http://LearnQuick.Com
512 388 7339   -or-   1 800 MCSE PRO