Re: Problem compiling Setup but unsure if my install is hosed or is it the source or autoconf/automake

Brian Keener wrote:

> $ cd /usr/develop/src/cygwin-apps/setup
> /usr/develop/src/cygwin-apps/setup
> $ ./bootstrap.sh
> Running bootstrap.sh in libgetopt++
> unknown channel $-5 at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/Channels.pm line 538
>        Autom4te::Channels::msg('$-5', 'configure.in:14', 'warning: $-6') called
> at /usr/bin/autom4te-2.5x line 1008
> aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
> aclocal failed
> Autotool bootstrapping failed. You will need to investigate and correct
> before you can develop on this source tree

I just checked with a fresh CVS checkout of the setup sources and the
bootstrap went fine.  I don't really know what that error message means,
so I can't really be of any help there.  You should probably ask on the
autoconf list, where they will be able to aid you in debugging it
further.  Make sure to give them as many details as possible.

When you have disk corruption any file is potentially a suspect for
being damanged, so it could be a broken configuration file, possibly
something completely unrelated to Cygwin.  Normally when you reinstall a
package your local config files are not replaced (particularly if they
have been modified) so you might consider reinstalling.  One trick that
you can use to see if it's a Cygwin installation problem is:

1. save your mounts (mount -m > mounts.bat)
2. unmount everything (umount -A)
3. rename your cygwin directory to something else
4. reinstall from setup.exe

This will for all intents and purposes shield your previous install, and
simulate a fresh install.  If you find the fresh install works, then you
can copy over the parts you want to keep from the old.  If it fails in
the same manner you will know that it's not a Cygwin installation
problem and you can revert back to the old install (by doing the steps
in reverse) without losing anything.

Brian