Re: tcsh doesn't find commands that end with .exe

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Unpatched standard cygwin tcsh:
[quetschke@Macros ~]$ which gcc.exe
/usr/bin/gcc.exe
[quetschke@Macros ~]$ which whoami.exe
whoami.exe: Command not found.
[quetschke@Macros ~]$ which whoami
/usr/bin/whoami

Doesn't happen with the patched tcsh.

Yes, sure because now the .exe versions are also in the hash. There are two szenarios: 1. Everything is well (only a few files in dir): blah and blah.exe are in the path hash. 2. Something is wrong (many files in dir): blah* is not hashed and therefore blah, blah.exe, BLAH, BLAH.EXE, BlAh.ExE, etc. are found. (You can force this by using unhash.)

IMHO your patch hides the problem with the broken directory hash
and I thought I should report to the tcsh people that the path
hashing algorithm might have a problem with many files.

Volker

-- PGP/GPG key (ID: 0x9F8A785D) available from wwwkeys.de.pgp.net key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913 9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D