Re: Question about tab completion

At 06:05 AM 6/13/2005, you wrote:
>Mikael wrote:
>
>> But say I type /c<tab>, instead of stopping at c as I thought would happen,
>> /cyg is completed and these three are displayed:
>> cygdrive    cygwin.bat  cygwin.ico
>>
>> Why? Why doesn't it stop at c? Have I done something wrong with my mounts or
>> is this as it should be?
>
>Tab completion doesn't know about mounts, only directories and files.
>Since there is not actually a directory in the root named 'c'
>(underneath the mount), tab completion doesn't consider it.  In other
>words, if you do "ls /" you won't see /c, which is essentially all that
>tab completion does.
>
>You can get the desired behavior though by actually creating a directory
>there.  But you can't do this while /c is mounted, so you'll have to
>temporarily set the cygdrive to something else.
>
>$ mount -c /cygdrive
>$ mkdir /c
>$ mount -c /

And it's standard UNIX practice to create the mount point directory first.
Or, more correctly, you *have* to create the directory first.  Cygwin doesn't
require you to create the directory before mounting to it but doing so
doesn't have much in the way of advantages, as you've noticed.

Holliston, MA 01746