Re: Unicode in filenames support?

"Jaeho Shin" <netj@ropas.snu.ac.kr> wrote in message
42A547D8.9000707@ropas.snu.ac.kr">news:42A547D8.9000707@ropas.snu.ac.kr...

>I'm having problem with accessing files that have Unicode in their
>filenames.

The Boost Filesystem library (www.boost.org/libs/filesystem) release version
does not currently support Unicode or other wide-character filenames. The
"i18n" branch in the Boost CVS does provide that support. It can be
configured to traffic externally in wide-character Unicode filenames (on
NTFS or other file systems with direct wide-character support) or multi-byte
narrow-character encodings such as UTF-8.

A mini-review of the internationalized version of Boost.Filesystem should
begin on the Boost developer's mailing list in a week or so. I also plan to
propose the library later this year to the C++ standards committee for the
second library technical report.

The library works nicely with GCC on other platforms, but there is a problem
with the C library shipped with GCC/Cygwin. It doesn't support wide
characters, and that in turn prevents C++ std::wstring from working. And
that prevents Boost.Filesystem from working.

I've been in contact with Newlib people working on the problem in, which is
where the problem needs to be solved. They really need encouragement that
people do care about wide character support, and that not having it is a
black eye for an otherwise excellent and highly appreciated Cygwin effort.
IMO of course.

--Beman Dawes