Re: Running cygwin service via cygrunsrv under account without password in Win XP Pro - impossible?

Vadym Voznyuk wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Schulman" <andrex@alumxxxxxx>

Uh, ummm. Please http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 8:31 AM
Subject: Re: Running cygwin service via cygrunsrv under account without
password in Win XP Pro - impossible?

-w, --passwd <password>
  Optional password for user. Only needed if a user is given. If a
user has an empty password, enter `-w ' with no <password>.
cygrunsrv -I svc_name -p /usr/bin/svc.exe -u foo -w ""

Isn't '-w ""' different from just '-w'?  In other words,
cygrunsrv.README is telling you to use no password, while you're giving
it an empty password, which is different.  I dunno, but it's worth a
try.

No, that is correct syntax actually!

Did you read the message from the Corinna himself? He solved it!

Just FYI, Corinna is a she :)

There is a special local security policy setting in XP and 2K3, once I set it properly - everything works beautifully.

Another option is to run the service as user SYSTEM.  This is what I do,
and I've never had any trouble.  But of course you're right to try to
run it under a lower-privilege account.

Corinna rocks!

Yes, she does :)

--