Re: Serious performance problems (new snapshot has some performance improvement)

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 08:18:46PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>I have an idea about how to work around this problem but I have to think
>about how dangerous it might be.  Basically removing the signal handling
>wrapper around pthread_getspecific and pthread_setspecific.  That may
>work ok but I have to think about worst case scenarios.

I've semi-convinced myself that pthread_[gs]etspecific do not need signal
protection so I've released a snapshot which turns it off:

http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

This version is about 2.7 times faster than cygwin 1.5.17 but it is still
not as fast as mingw.  I don't think we're going to hit mingw performance
since there are still cygwin overhead issues involved.

AFAIK, this is only going to provide a speedup for this specific case.
I don't think a general cygwin user is going to notice any improvement.

cgf