Re: Questions on patching dcrt0.cc

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 21:38, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> As I understand it, the same issues arise whether cygwin1.dll is
> dynamically loaded from an MSVC application or a MinGW application.
> There is a simple way to compile MinGW applications on Cygwin (namely,
> "gcc -mno-cygwin").  You could test your approach with a MinGW-compiled
> app, and if you see the same behavior as with MSVC, the MinGW app could be
> included in the testsuite.

Thanks for the pointer, Igor.  That was extremely helpful.

I just ported the test app to mingw.  The only thing I had to change was
to put an #ifdef in to use GCC-style inline assembly instead of
MSVC-style when it looks at the segment register.  I'm still
reeling in amazement at how easy that was.  Wow.

My hat's off to the mingw folks, and I'll be submitting the test
utility (as a new subdirectory for winsup/testsuite) as mingw
code (under the cygwin license) with an option in the makefile to
show that it works for MSVC.