RE: Problems with Cygwin Installer

----Original Message----

  There is a bug in setup, and you can avoid it by not spending so long in
the package chooser.

  Setup uses windows' wininet functions to retrieve http/ftp URLs; when
fetching files by http, windows will attempt to use a Keep-Alive connection
to save having to repeatedly connect to the same server, but in the 15-20
minutes that you spend in the package chooser, the Keep-Alive connection
setup opened to fetch setup.ini will have been timed out (as inactive) by
the server, and the subsequent attempts to download files fail because the
connection has been closed by the remote end.

  It would be nice if the wininet library automatically re-opened a
Keep-Alive connection.  It is a bug in setup to not notice the connection
has failed and keep trying to use it.

  This came up just recently and I'm quoting from memory and without doing
my background research, so it may not be 100% accurate, but the root cause
(connection times out while you're in the chooser) and workaround (don't
spend so long in the chooser) should be correct!

  I don't know if wininet is clever enough to pool connections between
unrelated applications, but if it is you might be able to keep the
connection alive by browsing round the mirror site in your browser,
requesting a new page every few minutes to keep the connection alive while
you take your time in the chooser.

    cheers,
      DaveK