Permissions problem mounting NFS shares from Cygwin sshd

For reasons too complicated to explain, I need to configure a Windows
2000 machine to mount NFS shares from a Cygwin sshd session. The NFS
mounting part of this is taken care of by Windows Services for Unix,
and I have User Name Mapping set up so that my Windows user account
mounts as its Unix counterpart. If I run the SFU mount command from a
bash shell on the Windows desktop, all is peachy, and it mounts with
UID and GID both 0. If I mount from an SSH login, however, it mounts
with UID and GID both -2, aka nobody, and I don't have write access on
the NFS share.

I'm pretty sure that what I need to do is configure the Cygwin sshd
service to log in as Administrator, rather than as "local
user". However, when I configure it that way and restart the sshd
service, it fails to start. In the error log, I get "...starting
service `sshd' failed: execv: 128, Transport endpoint is not
connected". On one or two occasions, I got "permission denied" errors
from either starting sshd or writing to its logfile.

I read in the archives that logging in with public-key authentication
can cause problems like this, and indeed, if I log in via ssh with -o
PubKeyAuthentication=no, the mount works fine (and reports my user's
UID and GID, not 0 for both as when I mount from the desktop).

I have another machine here that mounts just fine from a public-key
ssh session. Unfortunately, the person who configured it is no longer
with the company. :-(

The really irritating aspect of this is that, when sshd fails to
start, it is now stuck in state "starting", and the usual stop, start
etc. buttons are greyed out. It appears the only way to get it out of
that state is Windows Troubleshooting Procedure Number 1, aka
reboot. (Number 2 is, of course, reinstall the operating system).

Many thanks for any hints.

--
-Chip Olson | ceo@thsi.org | "And the sands will roll out a carpet of
gold / For your weary toes to be a-touchin' / And the ship's wise men