"ls" finds file1 but "ls file1" does not

Ross Boulet wrote:

ls is acting like the -F option is specified which would
cause the '*' to be displayed at the end of any file name
which is executable (as one prior message shows these files
are).? Under what shell is ls being run and is there an
alias for ls that is causing this option to be invoked?? If
so, are there any other options in the alias?

This has been my default for years so I give it no thought but doubt
it is doing anything unexpected:

$ alias ls
alias ls='ls -aF'

I use bash for terminal interaction, \bin\sh for shell scripts.