Re: [Fwd: Re: impossible to restore MBR using dd]

On May  3 19:10, Matthias Bertschy wrote:
> Maybe I should recall you that on Linux, we can safely write 446 bytes
> blocks to a raw device. Indeed, the command dd if=boot.MBR of=/dev/sda
> bs=446 count=1 works under Linux.
> I also don't understand why you are using NTSF raw devices to access the
> MBR... after all the MBR isn't formatted at all !

What is an "NTFS raw device" for you?

> I think I will fill a bug report for the dd command under Cygwin. Could
> you point me where to do it?

There's no point in that.  I removed the buffering in writing to raw
devices last year because the buffering created more problems than it
helped when it came to writing multiple-volume archives to, e.g, floppy.
Windows calls OTOH only support writes to raw devices in module blocksize
chunks.  I don't think that's too hard a restriction.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.