RE: Bespoke installations: simple elegance of setup.exe when setup.ini is absent

Hi Sean, I'm redirecting this to the cygwin list so that we may all benefit:

> Is there any effort towards making setup.exe accessible?

Not to my knowledge, no, which FWIW I find very unfortunate.

> Those of us who use a screen reading program and/or keyboard
> access find it impossible to use setup.exe without
> assistance.  The view button should activate with the
> spacebar or enter key and does not.  The view button when
> activated with the space bar should open up a list of
> packages and does not.  Each item in the list should be a
> multistate toggle which should be toggled with the spacebar.
> Look at the windows installation program to see what I'm
> talking about.  In the section which allows you to choose
> accessories for example there is a button you can hit enter
> or spacebar on which says details.  From there you are in a
> list of programs you can select or deselect with the
> spacebar.  This is how setup.exe should behave.

There are many problems with setup, hence my comment.  The unfortunate truth
is that setup development has historically been excruciatingly slow, and I
have no reason to believe that the level of activity will increase by any
appreciable extent in the forseeable future.  I know it may come as small
comfort, but it used to be worse.

If you are able to, I am certain that any effort you can lend to the
development of setup will be appreciated.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle