Re: Permissions problems: traverse vs. notraverse

On Apr  9 15:14, Insert Real Name wrote:
> ==(Quote)==
> bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
> bash: /etc/profile: Permission denied
> bash: /cygdrive/c/Users/Michel/.bash_profile: Permission denied
> bash-2.05b$
> ==(End Quote)==
> and no Cygwin-linked program could work: "bash: fork: Permission denied"

What really bugs me with traverse checking is, that I don't have any
problems with it on the machines I'm using.

> Here are the Windows permissions of my home directory and its parent:
> C:\Users\Michel>cacls c:\Users\Michel
> c:\Users\Michel BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
>                ZIRIZUI\Michel:(OI)(CI)F
>                NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
> C:\Users\Michel>cacls c:\Users
> c:\Users BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
>         Everyone:(OI)(CI)R
>         BUILTIN\Power Users:(OI)(CI)R
>         NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
>         BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)R

Looks pretty sufficient.  Are the permissions also sufficient for
/etc, /etc/passwd and /etc/group?

If you're interested to debug this further, you could do me two favors.

- With traverse not switched off (don't set CYGWIN=notraverse), please run
    strace -o id.strace -m 4ffff id
  and
    strace -o bash.strace -m 4ffff bash --login

  When creating the bash strace, run any one command which is expected to
  fail with "fork: Permission denied" so that this situation is catched
  in the strace output.

  Send both straces bzip2'd to this list.

- Try the latest snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ and report if
  the problem persists.