bash backtick operator very slow

I've searched for anyone having similar problems, but can't find anything.
Here's the gist:

~$ time hostname
MY_HOSTNAME
real    0m0.111s
user    0m0.060s
sys     0m0.040s

~$ time echo hello
hello
real    0m0.000s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

~$ time echo `hostname`
MY_HOSTNAME
real    0m6.175s
user    0m0.060s
sys     0m0.050s

..and that was a fast one.  Usually it takes > 7 seconds.  I'm running
cygwin under Win2K in a domain environment.  I don't have this problem when
running the same exact setup on a non-domain machine.  Anyone seen anything
like this before?  I have no network drives in my PATH.  Bash version is
3.1-4, cygwin DLL version is 1.5.13.  The sh shell has the same behavior.  I
don't have ash, but I suppose I could try that one too...

Thanks for any help.