Re: clamwin installs incompatible copy of cygwin1.dll

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:20:16AM -0800, Jim Kleckner wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 09:57:44AM -0800, Jim Kleckner wrote:
>
>>>Then strike the link text and limit it to the workaround of adding
>>>the bin to the system path.   My text was a suggested starting point.
>>
>>i.e., a workaround.

>>>Nobody said the workaround was required.
>>

>>See above.
>
>Above does not say the workaround is required nor did the original
>text.

Ah, semantic fun.  Ok.  I do not want to have an entry in the FAQ which
"suggests" a workaround of setting the system PATH environment variable
to work around other people's problems.

>You complain about 3PPs but don't want to provide any easily found
>directions to them about what not to do.  You can say "search the list"
>but as a practical matter, it isn't effective at guiding their
>behavior.

Corinna already said that she thought that instructions are a good idea.
I am not against providing instructions to 3PPs.  As I said today:

>The problem with a "third party packager's guide" is that it would have
>to be written by a third party who understands the whole deal.  I'm not
>aware of anyone actually trying to do this right.

On rereading this thread, I see that you've volunteered to come up to
speed on this subject so, maybe I was wrong.

Patches tacitly awaited.

cgf