Re: clamwin installs incompatible copy of cygwin1.dll

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:08:16AM -0800, Jim Kleckner wrote:

Christopher Faylor wrote:

OTOH, perhaps I'm oversimplifying things, but it seems like this thread
went on for quite a while after the simple "delete the nonstandard DLL"
advice was given.  I don't see how any advice is going to be useful if
it isn't followed.

I agree completely. All the more reason to pull the concise answers out of the email list and into the FAQ. This thread wouldn't have existed at all.

The concise answer is already in *cygwin itself*.  The FAQ could
arguably be updated to say "delete the dll that is not in
c:\cygwin\bin".  I guess it is assuming that someone has actually
taken the time to read the error that cygwin presents.

However, again, this concise answer was mentioned in the email list and
not followed.  I don't know why anyone would view the FAQ as more
authoritative than the people they are soliciting for help here.

Not true at all. The suggestion was followed.

Note that the FAQ does not state to put the cygwin bin on the system path. Of course I knew that it would work to do that. As a Unix guy
since 1978, I was curious to try using ln to see what it would do. Larry Hall helpfully pointed out that while it would work, it was a brittle solution.

Look, all I'm trying to do here is save time for other people, not
waste all of our time.  The notion that the email list should be
the primary reference for this kind of issue is wrong.  And it shouldn't
be this hard to try to help out either.

Jim