From: Brian Ford [mailto:ford@vss.fsi.com]
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 11:37 AM
To: Peter Stephens
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: recv and errno during a connection reset/closed by peer

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Peter Stephens wrote:

I boiled this down to nothing(see below).  I must be missing something
basic.

Yup.

I tried the suggestions made so far and it never gets to:

printf(" >>> ERRNO %i\n", errno);

I would expect that on a disconnect (I use putty in telnet or raw
mode) it would return -1 whether it is doing MSG_PEEK or an actual
retrieval.  No luck.

Nope (http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7990989775/xns/recv.html):

"If no messages are available to be received and the peer has performed an
orderly shutdown, recv() returns 0."

I think that's what you're missing.

--
Brian Ford