Re: Postgres 7.2

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Zeb wrote:

Greetings, Zeb,
  I must first point out that talk of the Cygwin Time Machine is off
topic for this list.  However, in the interests of expedience and in an
attempt to help out, there are, as Spock once said "possibilities".  The
Time Machine only goes back to 03/11/2003 and unfortunately the earliest
version of postgres from that circa is 7.3.2-1.  However, I do have
earlier versions of the postgres source and binaries, which can be found
here:
  ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/release/postgres

My mirror of Cygwin goes back to 11/2001, but I didn't start archiving
setup.ini until a year or so later.

You can manually apply a package in Cygwin, and for that you should
research the cygwin email archives.  It's fairly simple but does have
it's pitfalls.

In the interest of provide a useful service, I would like to ask a favor
of you.  Could you locate the 'setup.ini' file from the download
directory on your PROD machine and send it to me?  I am always on the
lookout for older setup.ini's as I can add them to the Time Machine and
possibly materialize that circa of Cygwin, provided I have the packages
to go with it, and there's a good chance I do have the packages.  All I
lack is the setup.ini.  If I can get the setup.ini from you, and
materialize the circa, then you would be able to point Setup on DEV at
the Time Machine and install the same image as what's on PROD.

Actually, I'll put out this request to everyone:

If you have an older setup.ini that pre-dates 03/11/2003
(setup-timestamp: 1047280802) then please send it to me!  If you have a
friend who hasn't upgraded Cygwin in quite some time, please ask
him/her/it to email me their setup.ini.  My goal is to make the Time
Machine as useful as possible to people such as Zeb and to do that I need
your help.  It'll make the Time Machine that much better.

(apologies to cgf, et. al. for taking up bandwidth :)

Thanks!

Larry -- You've partially diagnosed my problem for me.

Here's what's going on (in detail):

I've taken over admin on development (DEV) and production (PROD) boxes for
a small website.  DEV is W2K and PROD is Linux.  The app running on the
servers in Java-based, and it connects to a Postgres DB.

The PROD box (which is running fine) is running Postgres 7.2.

The DEV box WAS running fine, until I started up pg_ctl without first
"ipc-daemon", resulting in 100% CPU utilization.  Thinking that there was
something wrong with the installation (vim was broken, and I was getting
some other strange behavior every time I typed a new command in the Cygwin
command line) I decided to execute the setup.exe file, trying to be very
careful not to over-write the Postgres 7.2 installation I had on DEV.

After having to go through the install process three or four times, the
last time I accidentally over-wrote the 7.2 install I had on DEV with
version 7.4.5-1.

But, since PROD is working fine (v. 7.2), I want to get DEV running again
with the same (7.2) version.  Once that's done and I understand the setup
in the DEV and PROD environments, I'll upgrade to more up to date
version.s

I hope that better explains why I'm looking for version 7.2.  Any pointers
on where to obtain it would be helpful.  I looked for the "Cygwin Time
Machine", and while I found references, I can't find any working sites
which have old tar.bz2 setup files for Cygwin.

Rgs,

Zeb