Re: Cygwin's libtool problem with directory that contains white spaces

Ralf Wildenhues escribió:
Hi Jean-Philippe,

* Jean-Philippe Barrette-LaPierre wrote on Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 06:31:14PM CET:

I'm experiencing problems with libtool 1.5.10 on Cygwin. I'm trying to compile a project in:

/home/Jean-Philippe\ Barret/project/curlpp

*snip*

Yes. This is a problem, and I can understand that it is frustrating, but the facts that the shell uses white space as argument delimiter, plus people love spaces in path names, are an unfortunate combination. What's more is, that this problem is very hard to solve in a shell libtool. I'm not saying it's impossible, it _is_ possible, but it would be a _lot_ of work, and some backwards incompatibilities.

What I'm trying to say is it's much much easier to just not use white
space in path names.  If you can't avoid them per se, you might be able
to use the old-style name (something like jean-p~1 or so) or create a
link (symlink or hardlink -- IIRC one of them works on cygwin) for the
directory with a different name.

So, in your case (with appropriate permissions):
  cd /home
  mv 'Jean-Philippe Barret' Jean-Philippe
  ln -s Jean-Philippe 'Jean-Philippe Barret'

I too ended up with a $HOME with spaces (WinXP installation loves to use first and last name for building usernames :s), and often find that I have to deal with it.

I came up with a simple script using cygpath that helps me cope with such an *unfriendly* $HOME, and, in general, with any directory with spaces (like My Documents, Application Data, etc. argh!):

$ cat ~/bin/spath
#!/bin/bash

cygpath $(cygpath -d "$*")

$ echo $HOME