fetchmail -v Not Verbose Enough

In the past, I've had no trouble running fetchmail and would regularly
run it with the -v (verbose) switch to amuse myself.  I've since decided
I'm too creative with wasting time so I thought I'd start using the
daemon mode.  That worked fine, too, but now I've since discovered that
if fetchmail is run manually, the verbose option produces no output. The
extra verbose option produces just as much.  Or as little, depending
on how you look at it.

Thanks.

--
George