Re: MVFS owner/group & permissions

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Andrzej Ostruszka wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've got one question regarding the use of ClearCase MVFS filesystem
> under cygwin.  I've searched the archive but so far with no clue to
> solve my problem (it might be a feature wish).
>
> Is it possible to have the ClearCase owner group and permissions listed
> while listing the catalog/file on MVFS filesystem (this is the behaviour
> under unix but not under cygwin)?  If not currently then what would be
> required to obtain this functionality?
>
> Right now I've got my local id and group substituted with permissions
> computed according to my local umask (this is what I observe at least).

First question: do you have both "ntsec" and "smbntsec" on?

If not, adding "smbntsec" to your CYGWIN environment variable may be all
that's needed.  If you *do* have it set, does Windows show different owner
and permissions via pure Windows means (i.e., the "Advanced" security
properties in Windows Explorer)?

Basically, Cygwin can only do as much as the underlying Windows permits it
to.  If the underlying Windows doesn't recognize MVFS owner and
attributes, it's unlikely that Cygwin will.  If Windows does show the
correct permissions and Cygwin doesn't (and "ntsec/smbntsec" are both on),
it's probably a bug, and will have to be debugged/fixed (if it can't be
reproduced by the Cygwin developers, you'll need to help in debugging it
on your machine).
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT