gcc/ ld/ Mixing C++ objects from gcc and msvc : possible link ?

> > A foo.lib can be used interchangeably with a libfoo.a file.  Except
Yea I did not realize that was just a convention (I was also confused
on cygwin :  .so vs .dll)

> > for the well-documented and frequently repeated problems with C++
> > name mangling, and the even more repeated problems with mixing
> > the cygwin and msvcrt runtime libraries, there should be no problems
> > with using a .lib file on the gcc command line or a .a file on the
> > "cl" command line.
> ==
> You cannot intermix non-trivial C++ (and, in many cases, even C) object
> files between compilers.
> ==
>
> I'm not saying that it can't be done in some specialized circumstances,
... if it is not impossible, let's do it :)

> for some short period of time.  But before long, you *will* get bitten
> by an incompatiblity. The Standard says nothing about object file formats,
> internal structures, name-mangling, stack usage, and so on.  And that
But I suppose other compiler firms had access to MSVC standards didn't they ?

> nearly guarantees disaster.
Yea I experienced in a short sample  those differents C++ name mangling
( http://rzr.online.fr/q/nm )

But can usage of dynamic libs workaround that ?

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dll.html#dll-build works only for C
names i guess ?

But for C++ names, I doubt GCC can write a compatible MSVC "library
stub" ( XYZ.lib that goes along XYZ.dll, not a static one : libXYZ.lib
)

Maybe runtime linking with a dll  is possible ... I am investigating on this...

--
Current Obsession : http://rzr.online.fr/q/GCC