Re: types "quad_t" & "u_quad_t"

Brian Dessent wrote:

Linda W wrote:

I was lamenting the lack of the simple "hexdump" facility
I have on linux. I figured -- how difficult would it be
to port that.

Cygwin already has the 'od' utility (in coreutils) which has the same
functionality. For example, "od -A x -v -t x1z filename" will give a
nice side-by-side hex/ascii output of a file.

hmph...never heard of it (even though I have it installed (*doh!*))...
Sure take alot more characters to get a simple hex & ascii side-by-side
dump!   How am I gonna remember all that?  :-)  I often have to use
the man page to figure out it's the "-C" option on hexdump to do that
simple feat, but now I need to remember what?...egads!  Well if ya'll
is happy with that, that's fine w/me.

Well...not too, turns out, though, that it needs a type
quad_t and u_quad_t defined.

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, the quad_t and u_quad_t types
are BSD-isms and not actually part of any standard. POSIX defines
int64_t and u_int64_t which would be the more portable types for a
program to use. 'hexdump' is from BSD as well so that's probably why it
uses them and not the standard ones.

Figures...posix..so sterile a type name: int64_t...descriptive but
still sterile. Quads made sense growing up on machine with 16-bit words,
32-bit double-words (dwords) and 64-bit quadruple words, though I suppose
someone might confuse qwords with "quads" (heard that used with "Giga-quads" as
a unit of memory measurement in Star Trek one time), which I speculated
was the same as a (million->mega,billion->giga, trillion->tera,
quadrillion->peta) petabyte -- where do they get these prefixes, anyway?

Brian

Thanks for the edification...guess I'll just go 'od' some now...now
that I think about it, "hexdump" was really too long and English-like
to be a real unix util.  "od" fits right in with cp, ls, awk, dc, bc,
etc.  :-)

Linda