what is ping reponse timeout mean?

dear cygwin user:

  after I connect to aol, I get aol's ip, then I went to www.network-tools.com
to use its trace and ping to check this address, the result of ping say time
out.

  the result of trace at last 4 parts always response timeout except one time I
change my XP home ed window security (firewall setting) (I can not remembered
which), it success report to host name with that ip without timeout.

   first, what is timeout mean for both ping and trace?
   and second, should I change my xp's window firewall setting so It won't have
timeout.  -- and can it finally let outsider see my website's test page by
typing that aol assigned public?

  highly appreciate your help, and thanks in advance
eric

http://Game.37.com/  <--- Free Games
http://newJoke.com/   <---  J O K E S  ! ! !