Re: Installing Perl modules with "perl -MCPAN -e shell;" fails with "02packages.details.txt.gz does not contain a Line-Count header"

Stephan Petersen wrote:

Hi David,

Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more
than one CPAN mirror.

Have you tried this? E.g. configured CPAN to use another mirror and tried
again?

yes, it's the same for every CPAN mirror I've tried. I've deleted CPAN's
config.pm and my .cpan directory several times now, it's the same after
every reconfiguration.

Testing 02packages.details.txt.gz with gzip -t reports:
gzip: 02packages.details.txt.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated

Same with 03modlist.data.gz.

I'm using cygwin on W2k with default text file type "DOS", in case
that's relevant.

Yes. Your .cpan directory needs to be mounted in binmode (Unix).

From /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/perl-5.8.6.README:

- The CPAN repository and build directory *must* reside in a path
  mounted in binmode:

    mount -s -b -f c:/cygwin/home/username/.cpan /home/username/.cpan
    mount -u -b -f c:/cygwin/home/username/.cpan /home/username/.cpan

  where username is your home path and cygwin / windows username.
  After mounting like this it should work with only few warnings or
  completely without problems, depending on your environment settings
  for the CYGWIN variable.

HTH,
Gerrit
--