Re: more ctime bugs

On Feb 13 04:30, Eric Blake wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > I'll update Cygwin to set ctime in close and link.  Link
> > is special since it doesn't involve using any explicit file descriptors,
> > so it's a bit unclear where to set the flags inside Cygwin to get that
> > right.  Using close() seems a good way to have ctime set for write()
> > as well as open(O_TRUNC).
>
> I see the new has_changed flag in the 20050211 snapshot.  But you still have to
> add a call to touch_ctime() within the stat() family of calls if has_changed is
> set, in order to comply with the required semantics; stat and lstat are not
> allowed to return out-of-date timestamps.

You know that this contradicts the target to maintain speed on write?
It's not done with adding a call to touch_ctime() to fstat, because
that only affects the application which also has written to the file.
If I read SUSv3 correctly, any call to stat/fstat/lstat on the file
by any application would require to update the timestamp.  That's no
fun.  I'm willing to simply ignore this.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.