Re: strange cp behavior with (coreutils 5.2.1)

--- Larry Hall
<lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com> wrote:

> At 10:15 PM 2/8/2005, you wrote:
> >$ net use \\\\shiva /u:shiva\\administrator
> >$ cp //shiva/c\$/cvsmq/eqgame.h .
> >cp: cannot open `//shiva/c$/cvsmq/eqgame.h.exe' for
> >reading: No such file or directory
> >$ net use \\\\shiva /d
> >$ net use \\\\shiva /u:develop\\dkaa
> >$ cp -v //shiva/c\$/cvsmq/eqgame.h .
> >`//shiva/c$/cvsmq/eqgame.h' -> `./eqgame.h'
> >
> >I think this used to work when cp was part of
> >fileutils.  The file itself has owner
> (develop\dkaa)
> >read permissions but Everyone has no explicit
> >permissions.  Giving Everyone read permissions
> makes
> >it work.
>

> That doesn't sound strange to me at all.  If you
> don't have any access
> to the file as the user of the share, I wouldn't
> expect to be able to
> access the file.

I don't really have a problem with the lack of access,
it's the fact that cp complains about the file with
.exe suffix.  Everyone has read&execute privileges for
the directory of the file so cp should know the file
is there and unreadable.

Thanks.