Re: FW: whois and man packages

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Anthony W. (Tony) Parran wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am new to CYGWIN.  I am an experienced UNIX and WINDOWS user.
>
> I joined this community at the request  of a fellow employee since I am
> designing my own aircraft but ran into a problem using AutoCAD 3D.  He
> suggested I use some of the free source code available on the Internet for
> my 3D modeling.
>
> I am running Windows 2000 Professional

Welcome to Cygwin.  Hope you like it.

> Thus far I like the feel of CYGWIN, but I have a question.
>
> I must not have downloaded the packages, WHOIS, or MAN.  When I go to the
> PACKAGE site all I get are listing and not the source codes, etc.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
> Thanks for your time.
> Tony

Well, if by "the package site" you mean <http://cygwin.com/packages/>,
it's only there to give you a listing of the available packages and their
contents.  If you need to install any of those packages, you should use
the setup.exe tool that you used to install Cygwin originally (you can
always get the current copy off <http://cygwin.com/>) and select any of
the current mirrors.  If you simply wish to run the application, you only
need the binary package (the one selected by default), but you can also
get the source packages (by checking the "Src" checkbox for the package).

Now for your particular problem...  The "man" package is in the "Base"
category, and thus should have been installed by default.  If you had
problems with your installation, please review the Cygwin problem
reporting guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> and post the
relevant details as described there.  I would, however, first try to run
"/bin/man man" from a Cygwin bash shell.  As for "whois", use the
setup.exe tool to install the "whois" package (though if it's a typo and
you meant to say "whatis", that's probably the same problem as "man",
since they're both in the same package). HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT