Re: cygwin bughunt (FAQ alert?)

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 12:44:39PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan 20 17:00, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> >
> > This must be modulated by the warnings on the snapshot page,
> > so I would recommend an initial step: write to the list, describe
> > the bug and ask for a recommended snapshot.
> > Should we also provide an optional cygwin_debug package, with only
> > an unstripped cygwin1.dll.debug ?
>
> I don't think so.  I don't recall that any Linux distro contains a
> debug-enabled kernel.  I guess, those who feel confident to debug the
> kernel (here: the Cygwin DLL), should be able to build their own
> debug version.

Except that Cygwin changes at a high rate. Debugging a transient
problem that shows up on 1.5.12 with the current cvs is taking a gamble.
There is a high probability you will first stumble on another bug.

If you have a debug dll, you can debug from a dump, or use the debug
dll in a production environment with just in time debugging enabled.
Once the bug is found, you may conclude it's gone from cvs, but that's
a firm (and satisfactory) conclusion. On the other hand if you can't
reproduce the bug with cvs, you don't know if it's really gone ot if
its likelihood is just reduced.

Pierre