Re: cygwin bughunt (FAQ alert?)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:04:55 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Since cygwin isn't built with debugging symbols, the symbols that you do
> see in gdb are basically meaningless.
>
> I think this has come up often enough to be a FAQ.  Joshua?
>
> In any event, you do need to either build a debugging version or, possibly,
> use a snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ since those are currently
> built with debugging turned on.

Sure, how about this:

I've found a bug in Cygwin, how can I debug it?

Debugging symbols are stripped from distibuted Cygwin binaries, so any
symbols that you
see in gdb are basically meaningless. It is also a good idea to use
the latest code in case the bug has been fixed, so you will need to
either build your own debugging version by following the instructions
at http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC102 or use a current snapshot
from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/