Re: a standard place to get cygwin

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 04:43:44PM -0500, Green, Keith wrote:
>cgf wrote:
>>After installing cygwin on one of my boss's machines, he too was
>>>missing grep - and I know for certain he's never installed cygwin on
>>>his machine.  However, I'll hunt this down.  On my machine at least I
>>>have maybe half a dozen different installs sitting around in various
>>>states of disrepair.  Once I can get it working correctly on my
>>>machine, I'll look at his.
>>
>>Hopefully, you have finally bitten the bullet and just installed grep
>>by rerunning setup.exe by now...
>
>That's the only way I've ever installed cygwin.  I have rerun and rerun
>and rerun setup ...  more than a half dozen times just this go around
>...  dozens and dozens of times on various machines over the last few
>years.  Every single install I recall has missed something.  It's
>always been a matter of how much annoyance I could tolerate.  An
>absence of grep far exceeds the limit - and so I make inquiry.
>Following the instructions on that web page Larry gave me, I've
>completely eradicated cygwin from my machine and begun the reinstall
>(30% complete).  I should know very shortly whether this will work.

You eradicated cygwin because you were missing grep?  Wow.

Just INSTALL grep using setup.exe.  There is no reason to go to
incredible effort because you were missing a program -- especially if
your tolerance for free software is so low.  I would think you'd rather
just fix the problem and move on rather than compound your problem by
wiping things out and installing everything.

cgf