RE: Problem running cygrunsrv with non SYSTEM accounts

Ugh, top-posting...  Also, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.
Thanks.

More below.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Aitken, Sean wrote:

> It does seem to be a problem with running cygrunsrv under non SYSTEM
> accounts then.. I have granted almost all privileges (via. Local
> Security Policy) to the sshd_server user. Also, I have tried this with a
> domain account added to the local Administrators (and granted
> RunAsService) with the same results, so I don't think it has to do with
> the 'sshd_server' account.
> Also, I have performed:
> mkpasswd -l -d > /etc/passwd
> mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group
>
> .. And verified the 'sshd_server' account was listed.
>
> Also, NT File Monitor turned up no significant 'file not found' or
> 'permission denied' errors..
>
> Any more ideas? Is there any sure-fire way to debug the cygrunsrv
> program in this manner??

Well, cygrunsrv can only do as much as Windows let it.  I'd suggest trying
to install and run a service as sshd_server using the pure Windows means,
and seeing if it succeeds.  If it doesn't, debug it at the Windows level.

BTW, I don't recall the Windows Event Log being mentioned anywhere in this
thread.  If I didn't miss it and it really wasn't mentioned, please
examine the Windows Event Log (both System and Application) for clues.
HTH,
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT