RE: Why is cygwin cvs client so slow?

At 10:51 PM 1/4/2005, you wrote:

>Wow!  You're not kidding - cygwin cvs performance is comparable to
>native performance on local drives.
>
>I'm obviously going to look through the archives to see previous
>discussions of network drive performance.  In the meantime, do you know
>if the problem is one that just lacked someone willing to work on it, or
>if it is something intractable that would be difficult to fix?  I just
>can't imagine what the cygwin dll is doing to treat local drives so
>differently.
>
># I'm on a locale drive now.
>$ pwd
>/cygdrive/c/tmp/src/wl
>
># cygwin cvs is plenty fast on local drives
>$ time cvs-cygwin.exe update -d locale
>real    0m55.282s
>user    0m5.749s
>sys     0m42.937s
>
># 'native' cvs is only slightly faster
>$ time cvs-cyclic.exe update -d locale
>real    0m46.011s
>user    0m0.015s
>sys     0m0.031s

Well, that's good to know.  The slowdown is due to the POSIX path handling
code.  There's more pain with network activity.  You're welcome to look at
it though.  PTC! :-)

You might find better performance on the remote drive if you mount it and
use '-E'.  Then again, it may do nothing for your case.

Holliston, MA 01746