Re: check_case:adjust still an option?

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jan  2 20:21, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> > > Seems kind of pointless, really.
> >
> > It is pointless.  As I understood the documentation previously, it's the
> > POSIX path that should have been adjusted.  As is, though, it's useless.
> > FWIW, I have nothing against removing the check_case:adjust logic, as long
> > as the check_case:strict one is left in-place.  Unfortunately, most of the
> > check_case logic is associated with check_case:strict.
>
> I'd rather see check_case go away entirely since it's pointless entirely.

check_case:strict isn't.  One benefit of check_case:strict is that
whenever there's something that attemtps to create an existing file with
different case (be it archive extraction, or multiple copy, or rsync, or
whatever), you will get an error message instead of silently losing your
file.  I have been burned by this multiple times before setting
check_case:strict by default in my environment.  I don't know of any other
feature of Cygwin or Windows that will guarantee the safety of your files
in that way (except, perhaps, managed mounts, which aren't up to par yet,
IMO).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT