Re: Ssh ignores $HOME

At 10:24 PM 12/28/2004, you wrote:
>I've cc'ed cygwin@cygwin.com because I've apparently identified a problem
>with Cygwin's ssh.

<snip>

>The problem is that /home/Ben is the wrong (and nonexistent, until created
>by ssh) directory.  My home directory is /ben.  For some reason, this
>version of ssh is ignoring $HOME (despite its documentation) and arbitrarily
>looking in /home/$USERNAME.  A symlink fixed the problem; but any
>suggestions as to what is going on here?

What in ssh's documentation says that it will *use* $HOME to determine where
your .ssh directory is?  The documentation uses $HOME for notational
convenience and says that it will *set* HOME in the ssh environment AFAICS.
Your $HOME directory in a ssh session under Cygwin is determined the same
way it's determined in a local shell session.  Your home directory is defined
in /etc/passwd.

Holliston, MA 01746