problems using gcc -MM on source with Windows-style #include paths

I want to generate dependencies for my adopted C code
with "Windows-style" #include paths like this:

#include <stdio.h>
#include "Common\Misc\Boot.c"

I am building from a cygwin [CYGWIN_NT-5.1] window.  I
thought to use gcc -MM, but my version ["3.3.3 (cygwin
special)"] croaks on the #include paths with
backslashes.

I don't want to create an in-house tool to make
dependencies.

I am leaning against changing the C code because the
compiler we're using for actual compilation is a
Windows-only tool that needs Windows-style #include
paths.

I am looking for these kinds of solutions:
1. A version of gcc that can handle backslash include
paths.  Or a switch like "--use-dos-paths".
2. A different gnu-type tool that has been around and
is quite stable.
3. Some makefile wizardry involving sed and whatever
to do this cleanly.  This is the route I've been
pursuing and it's getting to be a mess.

cheers,
ben