[Fwd: [gp@familiehaase.de: sem_* functions in cygwin]]

[Catching up on some older mails]

> ----- Forwarded message from "Gerrit P. Haase" -----
> From: "Gerrit P. Haase"
> To: cygwin ML
> Subject: sem_* functions in cygwin
> Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:48:20 +0100
>
> Hi,
>
> nearly all sem_* functions are available, but sem_unlock is missing,
> was there a problem implementing sem_unlock() or was it just missed
> by accident?
>

> Gerrit
> ----- End forwarded message -----

I guess you're asking about sem_unlink().  It's not implemented so far
since named POSIX semaphores are implemented using named Windows semaphores.
The SUSv3 description contains a pretty unfortunate implementation detail:

  Calls to sem_open() to recreate or reconnect to the semaphore refer
  to a new semaphore after sem_unlink() is called.

There's no way I know of, which allows to implement this using named
Windows semaphores.  At least not without adding a lot of annoying
bookkeeping overhead, possibly involving cygserver.

Corinna