Re: perl 5.8.6

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 12:30:23PM +0100, "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit@familiehaase.de> wrote:
> Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 03:45:08PM +0100, "Gerrit P. Haase"
> ><gerrit@familiehaase.de> wrote:

> >>I want to change the name to cygperl_5_8.dll.  Timeframe: depends on the
> >>results of the testsuite, if all or most tests are passnig then I think
> >>it can be uploaded the next days.
> >

> >Be better to use 3 numbers still but use PERL_API_{REVI,VER,SUBVER}SION
> >instead of  PERL_{REVI,VER,SUBVER}SION.  (See patchlevel.h.)  Unless
> >there's
> >a length problem, maybe also append archname ("cygwin-thread-multi-64int").
>
> It should work for internal version checks and where else it is used as
> is, however the DLL naming for perl is hardcoded in the wrapper perlld.
> So actually it is only the DLL name that changes to enable the use of
> older extensions without recompiling easily.

I have to admit that I completely failed to understand the above, but I've
been sick and don't have a completely clear head at the moment.

Gerrit, I've hoped to have some time to work on Win32:: stuff on the
perl side, but haven't gotten around to it.  For 5.8.6, could you give
a try to including the Win32CORE module from the perl-libwin32 package
as a static extension and the Win32 module as a dynamic extension (and
bootstrap Win32CORE in cygwin.c)?  If it works, that would make cygwin
have equivalent to what's in win32 perl.