RE: commands not found

  Hm.  When you installed, did you choose the "Just for me" option?  And perhaps
at sometime afterward rename your username?  It might straighten things out a
bit if you reinstall "For all users".

> I don't know even what to ask about the multiple cygwin1.dlls.

  That's almost certainly a red herring: it's a false alarm that you get when
you run cygcheck in the /bin directory.  You needn't worry about it, I don't
think.

> I did try to install cygwin x, and then installed cygwin
> multiple times trying
> to get it to work right.  Always with the same setting
> sthough, I thought I was just overwriting itself.

  Standard advice at the moment for anyone with setup troubles is "First install
everything you want but for X, then run setup again to install the X packages"

> So this just works for everyone else huh?  That figures...

  WJM!

    cheers,
      DaveK