Re: What depends on less and what man depends on.

Op Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:57:32 -0800 schreef Joshua Daniel Franklin
in <cb51e2e041205175743f344e2@mail.gmail.com>:
:  On Sun,  5 Dec 2004 08:13:34 +0100 (MET), Bas van Gompel wrote:
: > Sometimes one wants to know what depends on a package or vice versa.
: >
: > To find out, using the local setup.inis, I wrote following script.
: > It uses make to recursively find and display all dependencies in
: > either direction.
:
:  Buzz,
:
:  These scripts you've made seem both cool and useful to me. It would

Thanks, that's nice to hear.

:  be even better if we had this functionality in some of the cygwin utils,
:  though, like cygcheck. Any interest in that?

? I'd like it... If there is general interest in them I may attempt to
get the scripts added to cygutils. I might write a wrapper around them
and add some similar functions. Or did I misunderstand your question?

(If you're asking me to duplicate the dependency-tracking logic from
``make'' in another app, I'm not very likely to do that.)

:  I'm also thinking maybe setup.exe should store the latest known good
:  setup.ini as /etc/setup/setup.ini or something like that.

I think that may be a good idea. It should then however store
setup.inis for all selected mirrors, not just the one.

A symlink is not a good idea, IMO, as reading a new ini from internet
may fail (If you refuse going online (dial-up) setup will empty all
inis it attenpts to download.) Also people apparently tend to download
into a temp-dir, install and then delete the local files.

L8r,

Buzz.
--
  ) |  | ---/ ---/  Yes, this | This message consists of true | I do not
--  |  |   /    /   really is |   and false bits entirely.    | mail for