Re: A vexing installation problem

At 04:52 PM 11/29/2004, you wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 03:18:05PM -0500, Larry Hall wrote:
>> At 02:59 PM 11/29/2004, you wrote:
>> >The postinstall scripts are all cygwin shell scripts and thus require
>> >a functional 'sh' to do anything.  And, as with all other cygwin
>> >programs, 'sh' just exits without doing anything.
>>

>> Yep, so I'd recommend starting there.  Check the Windows properties here
>> to see who owns the file and who has permissions to execute it, etc.  Also,
>> you could do a strace on 'sh' to see if anything interesting shows up from
>> that.  Hopefully you'll see something interesting as a result.
>
>File permissions appear ok as far as I can tell.  The 'strace' output
>seems consistent with no permission problems; I'm able to execute all
>commands, cygwin1.dll is found, and things run for a short while
>before dying.

But with no output, right?  No dump file, nothing?

>'strace sh.exe' looks like any other command I try:

>  564  105230 [main] bash 3892 cygheap_user::ontherange: what 2, pw 0xA0510C8
>  224  105454 [main] bash 3892 cygheap_user::ontherange: HOME is already in the environment /cygdrive/h
>  756  106210 [main] bash 3892 sigproc_init: process/signal handling enabled(1001)
>  365  106575 [main] bash 3892 __cygwin_lock_lock: threadcount 1. not locking
>  304  106879 [main] bash 3892 __cygwin_lock_unlock: threadcount 1. not unlocking

This isn't the strace of 'sh.exe'.  It's the strace of 'bash.exe'.  Can
you try 'sh.exe' and see if it's different.  FWIW, the lines you provided
above I can find in my strace of 'bash.exe'.  Mine goes on however.

>and I'm back to the Windows command prompt at this point.  I thought
>maybe there could be something odd in my environment, but deleting all
>entries has no effect: I still see the exact same behavior with an
>environment that consists, in its entirety, of "PATH=.".
>
>By hunting around on the internet, I was able to find some old cygwin
>versions to test.  With an old version of 'mount', I get normal output
>with the 1.5.5-1 version of cygwin1.dll, but 1.5.6-1 behaves the same
>as 1.5.11-1 and 1.5.12-1 (no output, exits following sigproc_init).
>
>I see that the 1.5.6-1 release changed signal processing which seems
>suggestive given that the last substantive output of 'strace' comes
>when signal handling is enabled.

If you have 1.5.5 now that works for you, you can use that to bootstrap
your build and get a debug version of the current DLL to look at and
debug into.  That might be your best bet.  You can definitely get more
context that way, if you're so inclined.

Holliston, MA 01746