Re: Serious Installation problems - possible workround but rapid fix required.

At 07:17 AM 11/25/2004, you wrote:
>I've installed Cygwin a few times before and I was fairly confident of
>installing version 1.5.12 but what a disaster this distribution is! I
>don't want anyone in particular to feel they're the object of criticism
>but this release may put off many users from trying to use Cygwin at all
>because it's just not possible to install it without a great deal of
>trouble with the current distribution kit. I would suggest a rapid
>re-release is needed (I'm willing to field test it for you as far as the
>installation procedure is concerned) before too many people discover the
>problem!
>
>I've tried downloading and/or installing directly from 16 different
>download sites just in case there was a problem mirroring. Some sites
>failed with installation incomplete (consistently e.g. mirror.ac.uk) but
>most ended up in some sort of endless shell loop at 90+% of the way
>through with virtual memory increasing endlessly: even setting a
>pagefile size of 2.5GB was not enough!
>
>Here's what I did.
> (1) Download from rcn.net
>       (This just happens to be the one that worked but all the
>successful downloads looked identical).
> (2) Install from local disk using "Install" for everything.
>       This produced some "missing database" errors and didn't complete
>properly. I just cancelled the "Try again?" request.
> (3) Install again from local disk using "Reinstall" for everything.
>        This produced many errors about "missing cygz.dll". It
>eventually completed and produced a desktop icon,etc.
>        However almost nothing worked because of the missing cygz.dll.
> (4) Install again using "Default" for everything but "Install" for X11.
>(By this time I had read some of the mailing lists!)
>        The installation completed without error.
>        Everything I use appears to work and I now have a working
>version of 1.5.12.
>
>I hope this helps.

What packages were you installing?  There have been recent reports of hangs
in 'setup.exe' over on the cygwin-xfree list when all packages are installed.
Sounds similar to the problems you were having.  Were you installing 'X'?
If so, the current work-around is to install all of Cygwin minus 'X' and
then rerun 'setup.exe' to install 'X'.

There has been progress made on 'setup.exe' to isolate and resolve this
problem so there's hope that this problem will be a thing of the past
soon. :-)

Holliston, MA 01746