Re: Sound generator starting package for Linux/Cygwin

Theo Verelst schrieb:
Reini Urban wrote:
Theo Verelst schrieb:
I've started a sound generator package on Linux and Cygwin consisting
   http://82.168.209.239/Soundtest

Why not use the standard puredata, which is also based on tcl/tk and portaudio, but is stable and mature?

Well, as quick response, to begin with I didn't know about that package. Second, having quickly looked at it, it looks like the package I've seen at IRCAM, which frankly sounded not so good at all.

??
this must have been an old version. pd is imho simply the best, and the facto standard.

The approach of readable messages to control a sound core is hardly new, I've used it decades ago in other context such as graphics (e.g. AVS), and I liked (and still like) the approach in combination with a good interpreted language, for which this example is meant.

we'll see.
pd uses some kind of "graphical" interpreted language, which connects dlopen'ed compiled objects. (highly optimized)

I forward this to pd-dev @ iem.at, which is right around my corner.

Pd probably stems back to NeXT, which as first desktop had a builtin DSP
for sound processing. I'm interested in DSP, too, (see http://82.168.209.239/Dsp , http://82.168.209.239/Xilinx ), I'm sure
it's quite an issue to do sound algorithms right (http://mini.net/tcl/11991)...

yep, that's true.
pd is the open source version for ircam's MAX, which ran on NeXT and irix and Mac.

I'll check Pd, but am quite sure I don't want to go that way myself.

Oh, the idea was also to try out an approach which could make scripting and C core work on Linux and cygwin, preferably with as little porting
effort as possible, and also in a distributed way: more than one sound cores on different machines.

And I've made a (very complicated) sound generator core ( http://82.168.209.239/Articles/pms.html ) for string simulation
(presented at FOSDEM last year http://82.168.209.239/Fosdem ) which I want to be able to control not just over midi in real time, and though
I'd experiment a bit with a practical frame for that.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/