Re: Getting latest version of cygwin1.dll

At 01:51 PM 11/15/2004, you wrote:
>Larry Hall schrieb:
>>At 12:16 PM 11/15/2004, you wrote:
>>>When I go to the main website, ALL I want to do is get the latest cygwin1.dll file. You SHOULD have a link to a zip containing it on the main page.
>>>But no, instead you offer your stupid installer, or you offer a page to browse packages, but what do the packages contain? TEXT LISTING OF FILES WHICH AREN'T EVEN THERE!
>>>Why do you have to make it so freaking hard for people who only need the dll to run cygwin programs?
>>Installing this package
>>(and it's dependencies) is trivial with 'setup.exe'.  Just unselect all packages first and then select the 'cygwin' package.  That will install exactly what you need to have to use cygwin1.dll effectively.  If you want something less, you will have all you need locally to experiment with.  Be advised that this list doesn't support questions from home-grown installations.  As I mentioned before, there are just too many variables to make this feasible and reasonable.  So you should be very certain that you
>>*need* to do something non-standard before you turn away from the simplicity
>>and support that come from using 'setup.exe'.
>
>Well, just for the records, currently it's not so simple:
>
>* It's problematic to update cygwin together with other packages.
>Until this is fixed in setup.exe, it's recommended to update the cygwin package alone, and then update (install or remove) the rest.

Which is what I recommended in the piece of my reply that you included
above...

>* For a cygwin.dll update it's also recommended to close all cygwin apps, shells, and services, (be sure nothing is left), then do the update, and then restart the services and apps again.
>Or just do a reboot.

Sure.  Always.  But if the user does none of this, 'setup.exe' will still
just "do the right thing".  But you will need to reboot, as you mentioned,
before you see "the right thing".

Holliston, MA 01746