Re: vpath search failures in Clearcase when files do actually exist

Pierre A. Humblet schrieb:
On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 01:09:47PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 12:47:26PM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 07:51:23PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 07:21:00PM -0500, Jeremy Broughton wrote:

Cyg ver:    1.3.10 (although I have reproduced the same problem with 1.5.7)
OS : Windows 2000
File system:   MVFS (running gnumake inside a Rational Clearcase dynamic
view)
cygcheck:   (See attached file: cygcheck.out)

It appears as though there is a problem using the /cygdrive/m type paths
inside MVFS when there are extremely large dependency trees.

Unless you can point to problems with a standard, supported W2K filesystem, please don't expect anyone to try to fix this.

Cygwin uses standard Win32 APIs for detemining if something is a
directory.  If those APIs are not working for Clearcase then it is
unlikely that anyone will be motivated to fix the problem on the Cygwin
side.

The OP was suggesting both a problem determining if something is a directory and a problem related to pathnames. Running strace my shed some light on the root cause.

Would it have made you feel better if I had said "for dealing with paths and determining if something is a directory"?

The "related to pathnames" was refering to the last paragraph in the initial
post, which points to Cygwin (although I can't imagine how):
" As shown above, using vpath . ../.. /cygdrive/m/top fails, even
though it should work. Using vpath . /cygdrive/m/top fails with the same
errors as above. However, vpath . M:/top succeeds in the dependency
check, even though M:/top should apparently be written as /cygdrive/m/top
to comply to cygwin standards."

If the OP is willing to do this then I hope he does it on a standard
filesystem like NTFS, as I originally suggested.  If there is a problem
there then it is obviously not a ClearCase problem.

Right. But then if it is a ClearCase problem, it can't be identified...
My request would be to trace under the latest Cygwin.

BTW: Can someone provide testcode to identify if the current drive as MVFS please. At least I think that a clearcase view is mounted as driveletter.
Does it show up as GetLogicalDrives()? (should so)
In detail, what does GetVolumeInformation().lpFileSystemNameBuffer return for such a MVFS drive?

For the proposed mounttable (getmntent) changes.
    user|system => mnt_opts
    GetVolumeInformation().lpFileSystemNameBuffer as mnt_type.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/