Re: setup.exe won't unpack the download

At 06:36 PM 11/7/2004, you wrote:

>>>- downloaded the default packages to C:\cygwin using setup.exe five separate times after completely erasing all occurences of the word cygwin on my harddrive before a fresh install, and have tried downloading from different mirrors
>>
>>It sounds like you are using the "download" rather than the "install"
>>option when running setup.exe.  If you are really a newbie and decided
>>to change the default while installing, then... why would you do that?
>
>I tried "Install from the Internet" the first time and nothing unpacked.  So I removed everything and tried install from the internet again, which still didn't work.  Third time I tried downloading to a local directory then running setup.exe again to install it from that local directory...   nothing seems to work.

OK but output from 'setup.log' that you sent to the list indicates that
what you did was a download from the Internet, which is why Chris made the
comment he did.

>Is there perhaps some special utility that doesn't automatically come with XP for unzipping these *.tar.bz2's?

Yes but unless you know what you're doing that 'special utility' is
synonymous with 'setup.exe'.

Based on your previous description, it sounds like you're attempting to
install into the same directory you're downloading to.  Don't do that.
Download to one directory and install into a completely different one
(and not one under the download directory).

If this isn't the problem, my WAG is that you have a version of 'cygwin1.dll'
already on your system, due to some previous install or some other software
that uses Cygwin surrepticously.  If this is true, remove all copies of
'cygwin1.dll' from your system and follow the uninstall directions here:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC19>

If none of this describes your installation and/or helps, please follow the
instructions at the uninstall link above, rerun 'setup.exe' as "Install from
Internet", and *attach* the 'setup.log' file (assuming this time things don't
just "work" for you).

Holliston, MA 01746