RE: Reinstall: Choice: DON'T install X - quirks in postinstall

Gerrit P. Haase AKA cygwin-owner@*y*w*n.com wrote:

> Hannu E K Nevalainen wrote:
>
>> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

>>> This is a feature that is not available in setup.exe.
>>

>>  Hmm... I've been reading very much of setup-related postings and
>> this is the first time that THIS thing has been spelled out.
>>
>>  Therefore I have doubts, is this REALLY true? I can see the effects
>>  beeing a tad in this direction: X packages didn't get installed,
>> but the packages (below) that requires cygX11-6.dll did get
>> installed - I had expected this to not happen.
>>
>>  What DOES the requires line in the setup data file actually provide
>> when it comes to functionality?
>
> The opposite, if you select gtk2-x11 which requires X11 then X11 is
> selected additionally automatically by setup.exe.
>

>> Googling seems to show up the *inverse* problem; i.e. *not* running
>> the postinstall scripts when actually asked to:
>>

> http://www.google.com/search?q=site:cygwin.com+inurl:2004+postinst
> all+gtk2-x11.sh&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&start=0&sa=N
>
> You also saw my reply:
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-07/msg00030.html

Which I still can't see how it is related to my problem... ??

>> This OTOH doesn't seem to match my problem at all;
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=site:cygwin.com+inurl:2004
>> +postinstall+post-texmf.sh&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&start=10&sa=N
>
> The problem is: setup selects automatically to install packages which
> are required by another package, but it doesn't handle the other way
> round, if you manually deselct an automatically selected package it will
> not deselect other packages which are requiring the manually deselected
> package.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE Microcomputer systems            --72-->

** mailing list preference; please keep replies on list **

-- printf("LocalTime: UTC+%02d\n",(DST)? 2:1); --
--END OF MESSAGE--